Monday, March 1, 2010

Me versus the kid

Getting to play violin in at the Livermore temple auditorium this Saturday for a Purandaradasa event was a big thing to me for multiple reasons. First it was on stage and before my violin teacher - I had never done that before. Next it was in a raga called Behag which I had never played before. Lastly, I had just a week to prepare!

Naturally nervous, I was rather restless as I awaited my turn to go on stage. A little American born Indian girl, barely ten years old, wearing a green checked frock (pavadai), thick spectacles looked side ways at me with folded arms and smiled. I think I tried to smile back. "First time on stage?", she asked. A little taken aback, I replied, "No, No, I have played before, just been a while... that's all". Then hoping that I won't seem like a complete newbie, I went on to show off, "Yea, I used to play violin in my college's musical society". The little girl was hardly impressed, "Whose student are you?". I told my teacher's name. "How long have you been learning?". Now I was taken completely aback! This little juvenile mistress was actually sizing me up!! But before I could ask her back these questions, our turn to play on stage came and I had to leave to meet my fellow violinists. But It was ON! Little sister! "Sizing me up eh? We'll see who gets the better applause", I told her with my looks.

The trouble with playing in events like these is that every Tom, Dick and Harry in the audience might be a Carnatic expert. We were playing to a thisra nadai talam which was hardly very common and to my shock, there were folks in the audience who would clap along the correct tala! Now my rendition of the song on the violin wasn't really to flawless perfection. I played the swaras mostly right, but hurried up on the tala in at least 2 places. But I didn't care, looking daggers at the little girl, I finished my rendition with a rather stylish, Pa Ma Ga Ma Gaaaaa.. as if I had been playing Behag since the day I was born.
Well, for what it was worth, the audience applause was reasonable, at best.

Now it was the little girl's turn. A vocalist, the way she went on stage and sat down, she could have given Sudha Raghunathan a run for her money. Not a remote shred of fear, she began her Purandaradasa keerthana in Mohana raga slowly, then sang in second speed, then third. At the end of the stanzas, the way she would roll her eyes in a slow blink, it would look like she's doing the song a favor by singing it!! Ok, so it was admittedly immaculate, flawless even. When she finished the astounding audience applause rang defeat in my ears. Hey Cmon! I played Behag (much harder than Mohanam that she sang) and that too I did it with bow and strings! But No! The audience clearly loved her rendition way more than mine. I conceded defeat with slow clapping of my own, the good sport that I am :-P

From next time on, I have decided to shave my face as thoroughly as possible and look as much as a kid as I can. For in art, the older you look, the higher seem to be the expectations!

13 comments:

  1. really a good way of putting yourself, da.
    anyway this is the first time you have played after strarting to learn so good attempt keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. waiting to see the videos... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do i have to tell you that you don't have to shave to look like a kid?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would have posted with my name, but i dont like any history on internet

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Thank uu so much. This is the first time on stage in California, yes

    @zoxcleb.. I havent got them yet dude

    @Anonymous.. I think I can guess.. but thanks for the complement :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. but very well put, please share the video if you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha! Never mess with kids! Especially if they are not yours :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sharatu.. thanks... I'll surely share it when I get it :)

    @Nitin.. I totally agree da!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the words of the legend, "Why so serious?"

    Anyway, good that you are performing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha ! Only YOU can take so much notice of some tiny kid !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not serious at all.. all in good humour. thanks da Koushik

    ReplyDelete
  12. @jan... tiny kid it seems.. u should have seen her on stage u'd call her an aunty.. but i am just kidding.. she was a nice little girl

    ReplyDelete